Wednesday, November 26, 2014

For Internet freedom, the loss of a true friend

I deeply miss my friend Ilya, who left for California some years ago and never came back.

Fortunately, his infectious and thoughtful optimism will never leave me.

I remember one New Year's, I got a call. It was Ilya, who was calling every number in his phone to say hi, check in and look forward to a new year. This is the social space he occupied, where there was always a moment to acknowledge his fellow humans -- to share a laugh, to share an idea, and to share a vision for something greater.

In Ilya's world, there is no such thing as "too many people to say hello." We live together, we connect, we share and we grow. Thus, our relationships can rise above profit, above power, and above the often violent, dismissive discourse that pervades our Internet. We're only here for a short time -- why be anything but radically friendly, whimsical, and unflinchingly aware of our supreme talent and potential?

I recently logged this same note into the dizzying, absorbing medium called Facebook -- where I am unable to resist the fleeting sense of connectivity that permeates our jumbled displays. We like, we comment, we scroll to distraction, and yet we still miss the character and inspiration of a phone call, a visit... a true presence.

Ilya, thanks for showing me what's possible -- online, and in this global neighborhood that won't lose its humanity to an insincere 'network.'

Ilya Zhitomirskiy, cofounder and developer of Diaspora

October 12, 1989 - November 12, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment